Hello there! We’re a small Sheffield based studio that make branded browser based games deployed online or for installations & events. We have exciting plans for 2018 and we’re looking for a programmer to join our team and help build the new game engines and supporting back-end web systems we have planned.
We work with a variety of businesses, charities and media companies to help them promote their brand (or convey a message) in fun and interesting ways. Whilst we strive to create games that have a real commercial value for our clients, we also take a player-first stance with our projects, creating and refining bite-size nuggets of fun that audiences enjoy playing.
Ideally, you’ll be an experienced (mid to senior level) browser game and/or web app developer, but we would consider applications from of all levels providing you have the right attitude and appropriate experience.
We’re a small team which brings its advantages, your day to day project work would be varied across both front and back end development and you’ll be involved in all stages of the production process, from conception and prototyping through to final delivery and installation. You’ll be encouraged to take part in regular brainstorming sessions for new ideas and have your say in the directions we take moving forward. There’s also lots of cake, a fair few social nights out and we have our own branded arcade cabinet in the office too.
While your main duty will be building HTML5 games, you’ll also be heavily involved in improving the back-end re-engagement systems as well as delivering a new online product we are hoping to launch later this year.
We (currently) write our games in HAXE coupled with PHP/MySQL for the back end, though this may change in future. Some experience with these, or a willingness to learn, is therefore essential.
The ideal candidate will:
- Love coding and have a passion for games, web and mobile technologies in general
- Be equally happy developing games or back-end web systems (i.e. A full stack web programmer)
- Be able to demonstrate a portfolio of their work, personal or academic projects
- Enjoy problem solving and be able to supply sound technical solutions to meet the requirements of creative, game-based projects
- Be enthusiastic and self-motivated
- Possess good written and verbal communication skills with an eye for detail
- Have a full UK driving licence
You will also be able to demonstrate experience (either professional, academic or personal) with most of the following:
- Backend systems & databases (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP, Node, NGINX)
- Web markup (HTML, XML, CSS)
- Basic undestanding of Adobe Photoshop / Illustrator / Animate
- OOP methodologies and design patterns
- Source control (SVN, GIT, etc)
Experience of some of these may also be useful:
- Game Engines (Unity, Phaser, OpenFL)
- Programming languages (C++, Objective-C, Java)
- Configuring hardware systems (Simple web servers, networking)
- A good understanding of 3D math and 2D physics
- Physical Computing / Hardware hacking (Raspberry Pi / Arduino)
- Basic Audio / Video production
- AWS / GAE
- Custom WordPress Themes
Salary is (ideally) between £25-£40K dependant on experience, but we may have some flexibility in that for the perfect candidate.
We can offer flexible working hours, company pension scheme and a friendly, modern working environment.
How to apply:
Please write us a cover letter with some background about yourself, describing why you feel you’d be a good fit for this role. Please also include your CV and salary expectations.
If you have any questions about the role before applying, please feel free to call/email us first.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE!!!
T: 0114 399 1011